Content of research
Particle accelerators and quantum beams generated from them are widely applied for not only basic science but also industrial usage. The division of accelerator science conducts THz-FEL including high brilliant electron beam in view of generating quantum beam and its usage. The newest generation radiation right source, FEL can change wavelength from its laser feature, and also its high power, coherency, pulsed, polarization characters yield many aspects of utilization in basic and applied fields. THz-FIR is just located between the photons and the radio waves, and the technical development is still in progress, so called “THz gap”, for both light source and detector. We are searching for the new scientific fields, controlling materials and its properties, developing THz-detection techniques, collaborating with world-wide researchers and laboratories.
Current Research Programs
- 1. Study on electron linear accelerators for higher performance and stability.
- 2. Production of a high-brightness electron beam and the extremely short pulses with a linear accelerator.
- 3. Development of an infrared free electron laser and basic study for short-wavelength free electron lasers.
- 4. Study of light emission by relativistic electrons such as coherent radiation.
- 5. Development of synchrotron radiation sources.
- 6. Study of materials science by using intense THz radiation.
Figure / Graph
Schematic drawing of a free electron laser
Far-infrared free electron laser at the Research Laboratory for Quantum Beam Science